AArch64/x86_64 quiz & Lab 4 Info/Update

This post is going to serve as an info dump for the previous few weeks in class. I've had a pair of WIP posts for the AArch64/x86_64 quiz and Lab 4 sitting in my drafts, so i've decided to merge them.

The AArch64/x86_64 quiz went very well. Prior to the quiz, I met with some of my peers for a study session regarding the previous week's material. While the x86_64 architecture is significantly more confusing than the AArch64 architecture, both architectures have similar functionality i.e. accessing registers in 8, 16, 32, 64 bits, safe registers to avoid trampling, and specifying which register to store results. Outside of the architecture material, we also spent some time reviewing bit-flipping with XOR(EOR). Even though it was not on the quiz, I greatly enjoyed this topic. Working with logic gates was my gateway to programming, and using the exclusive-or gate to flip bits was an interesting miniature logic puzzle. I'm hoping to have XOR/EOR appear on a quiz later in the semester, perhaps as a bonus question.

Regarding Lab 4, my group has decided to pursue options 1 and 2. Option 1 being the two-digit addition calculator (0-99) and option 2 being the packaging label, requiring the user to input characters, the program to store those characters, and then output those characters to the screen. At the beginning of class, we were immediately stumped by the two-digit calculator, since we were just introduced to the character display the previous week. By the end of the class, we had ended up using some sample code provided on the wiki to output the instructions for option 2 to the character display. I may consider attempting to change one of our options to option 4, after speaking with some of my peers outside my group and seeing their success with that option. Option 4 works with code we have used before (filling the screen with a solid color) and has a significantly simpler character display portion. I will have to see what my group thinks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Part 3

Lab 5 x86_64 Update

Project Part 2